Miswak, the natural toothbrush with excellent antibacterial properties
The 100% natural root of the Miswak or Arak has been used for natural dental care for over 7000 years and now the World Health Organization has recommended it as a means of good oral hygiene.
What are the benefits of miswak?
Research shows that nibbling on this wood has a beneficial effect on oral hygiene because a range of abrasives, antiseptics, fluoride and other healthy substances are released that have the following properties:
- cleans teeth and reduces plaque
- kills bacteria and thus fights bad breath odor
- stimulates saliva production and improves digestion
- strengthens the gums
- strengthens the muscles of the jaws
- reduces mucus formation in the airways
What can you use miswak for?
The miswak can be used daily by anyone to thoroughly brush your teeth in a natural way without the need for toothpaste.
It is the zero waste solution for your dental care: ideal to take with you on a trip, especially if you do not want to pack a lot and perfect for your next outdoor adventure.
How should you use miswak?
- chew on one end of the wood until the outer layer is gone and you are left with a bundle of fibers that looks like a brushc
- brush your teeth with circular and vertical movements as you do with a regular toothbrush
- do this for about 3 to 5 minutes, but longer is also allowed
- When you are ready, cut off the used part for hygienic reasons.
- put it upright in a glass
- do not use the miswak for more than a few weeks also for hygienic reasons
- Tip: keep the miswak in a glass with your favorite hydrolate, e.g. mint or sage, this gives the wood a pleasant taste
Material: Salvadora persica (miswak)
Length: about 15 cm